While bicycles are a fun method of transportation or leisurely activity, they can be dangerous as well due to the fact that they do not provide riders much protection. It is because of this that all bike riders should make sure they are not only following the laws, but looking out for themselves when they ride a bike. Bicycle accidents can be devastating and cause serious injuries or even death to those who are involved. Due to the fact that the month of May is National Bicycle Safety Month, our experienced Texas personal injury attorney is here to provide you with a short list of the different ways you can be safe while riding your bike.
- Be sure your bike is ready for the road before taking it out. This means making sure your bike chain is in proper condition, the brakes are working, and the tires are filled to the correct air pressure.
- Always ride in the same direction as traffic. It is important to move in the same direction as motor vehicle traffic when riding. Riders should also use hand signals when it is needed so that they can avoid an accident.
- Always wear a helmet. Wearing a helmet is crucial while riding, as it can save a life. While any helmet is better than none, it is best to purchase one that is in compliance with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission’s (CPSC) standards.
- Obey all rules and regulations of the road. Like all other motorists, bike riders are required to observe and follow the rules of the road. This includes obeying traffic signs and lights in addition to not riding under the influence and many more.
- Make yourself visible. Before taking out a bike, especially at night, be sure to wear bright colors and use reflectives so that other motorists can spot you and avoid collision.
- Pay attention to your surroundings. Even though an accident may not be your fault, it is important to do everything you can to ensure it never happens in the first place. This involves being constantly aware of all surroundings at all times.
While these are great ways to stay as safe as possible, the reality is that accidents can happen anyway. In the event that you are involved in a bicycle accident due to the negligence of another party, it is important to know that you may be able to recover financial compensation through pursuing legal action. During this time, it is beneficial to retain the services of an experienced Tex personal injury attorney for assistance doing so.
Contact our Firm
If you or someone you know has been wrongly injured, you must not wait. Our firm is ready to help you through each step of the legal process to help ensure you recover the financial compensation you need to move on with your life. We are ready to help–all you have to do is contact Brock & Goetzmann, PLLC today.